- 1 1/2 pounds (680 g) boneless, skinless¬†chicken breasts or thighs
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- All-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons (42 ml) olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant (about 12 ounces, or 340 g),¬†unpeeled, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon (10 g) preminced oil-packed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 jar (26 ounces, or 737 g) tomato marinara sauce¬†with red wine
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
For a meatier-tasting dish, brown 8 ounces¬†loose Italian sausage in the skillet after¬†searing the chicken. Serve this 30-minute¬†meal with rice or noodles.
- Preheat oven to 350¬ļF (180¬įC, or gas mark 4).
- Lightly season the chicken all over with salt and pepper¬†and the paprika. Roll in flour, patting off the excess.
- Heat 2 tablespoons (28 ml) of the oil in a large ovenproof¬†skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown all¬†over, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove to a platter and keep warm.¬†Add the remaining 1 tablespoon (14 ml) oil to the skillet.
- Lightly season the eggplant with salt and pepper and add to¬†the skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add¬†the garlic and fennel seed and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the¬†sauce, broth, and rosemary. Remove from the heat and¬†return the chicken to the pan, spooning some sauce over¬†top. Cover and bake until the chicken is no longer pink in the¬†center (165¬ļF, or 75¬įC, on an instant-read thermometer),¬†about 15 minutes.