- 1 slice fresh mozzarella cheese (¬Ĺ inch thick; about 2¬†ounces)
- 2 slices rustic white bread (each ¬Ĺ inch thick)
- ‚Öõ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 medium-size fresh basil leaves or 3 large
- 2 slices tomato (¬ľ inch thick)
- About 2 teaspoons olive oil
This sandwich made of mozzarella, tomato, and basil is¬†my version of a BLT. It‚Äôs simple, quick, and oh so¬†yummy! The term alla Margherita was invented in 1889¬†when an official from the royal palace asked a local to¬†make pizzas for Queen Margherita. Her favorite was the¬†one made with three toppings: tomato (red), cheese¬†(white), and basil (green)‚ÄĒthe tricolore of the Italia¬†flag.
- Place The Mozzarella Cheese atop 1 bread slice, and¬†sprinkle with half of the salt and some pepper. Top with¬†the basil leaves, then the tomato slices. Sprinkle with the¬†remaining half of the salt and some more pepper, and¬†remaining half of the salt and some more pepper, and¬†top with the second bread slice. Brush both sides of the¬†sandwich with the oil.
- Preheat a griddle or a ridged grill pan over a mediumlow¬†flame. Grill the sandwich until the bread is golden¬†brown and the cheese melts, pressing down with a metal¬†spatula, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the sandwich¬†to a plate and serve.