- 2 slices of fontina cheese (3 ounces total)
- 2 slices of rustic white bread (each ½ inch thick)
- 1 paper-thin slice of red onion (optional)
- 1 paper-thin slice of prosciutto
- 6 fresh baby spinach leaves
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- About 2 teaspoons olive oil
This is one of my favorite combinations; the salty prosciutto and creamy melted fontina cheese make my mouth water. It’s amazing how grilling the sandwich brings all the ingredients together, turning an everyday sandwich into the embodiment of comfort food.
- Place 1 Slice of fontina cheese atop 1 bread slice. Top with the onion, then the prosciutto and the spinach.
- Sprinkle with the pepper. Top with the second slice of fontina, then with the second bread slice. Brush both sides of the sandwich with the oil.
- Preheat a griddle or a ridged grill pan over a mediumlow flame. Grill the sandwich until the bread is golden brown and the cheese melts, pressing down with a metal spatula, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the sandwich to a plate and serve.