Pizza with Green Tomatoes
- Pizza Dough
- Olive oil as needed
- 2 large or 4 small green tomatoes
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- ½ cup coarsely chopped or torn basil
This pizza with green tomatoes makes a delicious main course.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F. Oil one or more baking sheets, then press each dough ball into a flat round directly on the oiled sheet(s). Pat out the dough, as thinly as you like, oiling your hands if necessary. If your oven is equipped with a baking stone, roll or pat out the dough as for grilled pizza, above.
- Core and thinly slice the tomatoes. Salt the slices lightly and let them sit for at least 20 minutes, then drain off any accumulated liquid.
- Top with the tomatoes and cheese, and slide the baking sheet into the oven (or the pizza itself onto the stone), and bake for about 10 minutes, depending on the oven heat, or until nearly done. Sprinkle with the basil and bake until the pizza is done, a few more minutes.