- 1 pound frozen white bread dough, thawed according to package directions, but chilled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons wheat bran
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped finely
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (9-ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed, or 1 (14-ounce) can, drained and sliced lengthwise
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
If you prefer, you can also use marinated artichokes from the deli.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- On a lightly oiled baking sheet, press the chilled dough into a 12 x 9-inch rectangle with raised edges. Brush with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Evenly sprinkle with the bran; presslightly into the dough. Sprinkle with the garlic. Arrange the onion in one layer over the dough; top with the artichoke hearts. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Evenly sprinkle with the cheese. Do not permit the dough to rise. (The pizza may be held briefly in the refrigerator before baking.) Bake for about 15 minutes, until the crust and cheese are lightly browned.