Rainy day chicken and rice soup
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 5 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- ¬Ĺ teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups water
- 6 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 ounces fettuccine noodles
- 1 12-ounce brick American cheese, cubed (about 3 cups)
- ¬ĺ cup instant rice, uncooked
Everybody craves soup on cold, wintry days. I love this¬†rainy-day soup, even in the summer. Most soups have¬†rice, potatoes, or pasta, but rarely all three. Maybe we¬†should nickname this ‚Äúexercise‚ÄĚ soup since it‚Äôs loaded¬†with carbohydrates. I like to have a big bowl of this over¬†cornbread, then take a nap, but that‚Äôs just me.
- In a large stockpot, boil the chicken, bouillon cubes,¬†onion, parsley, and pepper in the water until fully¬†cooked, about 30 minutes. Remove the chicken from the¬†broth and strain the broth into a large bowl. Discard the¬†onion mixture. Allow the chicken to cool. Cut into cubes.
- Measure the broth and add enough water to make 8 cups¬†of liquid in the large stockpot. Bring the broth to a boil.
- Add the carrots and potatoes, and cook for 20 minutes,¬†or until the potatoes are done. Add the noodles and cook¬†for 10 minutes more. Remove the pot from the heat and¬†add the cheese and rice. Stir the mixture and let it stand¬†for 10 minutes before serving.