- ½ cup dried lentils
- ¾ cup Arborio rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon good, fruity olive oil
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
This simple dish can make a meal in itself when served with a salad, or as an accompaniment to grilled vegetables or stuffed artichokes.
- Thoroughly rinse the lentils and rice, being sure to remove any small stones or dirt. Place them in the slow cooker insert along with the water and 1 teaspoon salt.
- In a sauté pan, heat the butter and sauté the onion over medium-high heat until the onion is golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the onion to the lentils and rice. Cover and cook on high for about 2 hours, or until both the lentils and the rice are tender. Add additional salt, if necessary, and pepper to taste.
- Top each serving with a drizzle of the olive oil and a generous sprinkling of the Parmesan cheese and the parsley.