- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- â…“ cup pitted kalamata olives, quartered
- ÂĽ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 6 fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Â˝ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Â˝ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus moreÂ to taste
Itâ€™s easy these days to buy roasted peppers in a jar, butÂ when making a red pepper salad (where itâ€™s all aboutÂ the peppers), I take that little extra step and roast myÂ own. Nothing beats that great fresh-roasted flavor.
- Preheat the Broiler. Cover a heavy baking sheet with foil.
- Arrange the bell peppers on the baking sheet and broilÂ until the skins brown and blister, turning the peppersÂ over occasionally, about 20 minutes. Enclose the peppersÂ in a resealable plastic bag and set aside until cooled toÂ room temperature.
- Peel and seed the peppers, and cut them into Â˝-inchthickÂ strips. In a medium bowl, toss the pepper strips,Â olives, oil, capers, basil, garlic, and Â˝ teaspoon each ofÂ salt and pepper to combine. Season with more salt andÂ pepper to taste, and serve. (The salad can be made up toÂ 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to roomÂ temperature before serving.)