ROASTED SAUSAGES with RED WINE and FENNEL
This has become one of the top ten dishes I cook most often because itâ€™s so tasty and easy. All you need is:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 12 good-quality pork sausages
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
- Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup/240 ml dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
You should serve with Garlic Mashed Potatoes, but first preheat the ovenÂ to 350Â°F/180Â°C.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil and mustard. Put the sausages in a baking dish big enough to hold them snugly in one layer, drizzle with mustard mixture, and turn to coat.
- Roast the sausages for 20 minutes.
- Take the baking dish out of the oven, add the fennel, onion, and thyme, and season lightly with salt (the sausages are likely already salted) and pepper. Mix the ingredients together so they get coated in oil.
- Return to the oven and roast until the sausages are cooked through and golden, about 25 minutes more, stirring halfway through the cooking.
- Add the red wine and butter and roast until the wine has reduced and the sauce has become slightly thicker, about 10 minutes. Serve hot.