Roasted winter vegetables
- ¬Ĺ large rutabaga
- ¬Ĺ large turnip
- ¬Ĺ large celery root
- 1 kohlrabi (optional)
- 2 large carrots
- 2 large parsnips
- olive oil for drizzling
- few sprigs of fresh thyme and rosemary, leaves¬†stripped
- clear honey for drizzling (optional)
Each¬†vegetable has a distinctive flavor that is intensified when roasted. An obvious pairing with any roast, this dish can¬†also be converted into a vegetarian main course with the¬†addition of some robust salad leaves, a creamy yogurt¬†dressing, and a sprinkling of soft goat cheese.
- Heat the oven to 400¬įF with one large or two medium¬†roasting pans inside. Peel the rutabaga, turnip, celery root,¬†and kohlrabi, if using, then cut them into ¬ĺ-inch-thick¬†chunks. Peel the carrots and parsnips and cut lengthwise¬†into halves or quarters, similar to the thickness of the other¬†root vegetables.
- Put all the vegetables in a large bowl and drizzle a little¬†olive oil over them. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and the¬†herbs. Toss well to coat. Remove the roasting pan(s) from¬†the oven and spread the vegetables in the pan(s) in an¬†even layer. Roast until the vegetables are golden brown¬†and tender, 25‚Äď30 minutes, turning them over halfway¬†through the cooking.
- If you wish, toss the vegetables with a light drizzle of honey¬†to glaze. Tip onto a warm serving platter and serve.