- 6 thick salmon steaks
- salt, pepper
- 300 ml (10 fl oz) single cream or crĂ¨me fraĂ®che
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 lemon quarters
I owe this deliciously simple recipe to Mrs CharlotteÂ , of Woodsville. It could equallyÂ well be used for cod steaks, or slices of angler-fish, orÂ porbeagle. The ingredients may sound expensive, but they arenâ€™t really as they include the sauce for the fish. Some new potatoes are all that is needed to accompany the salmon.
- Season the salmon steaks well with salt and freshlyÂ ground black pepper. Choose an oven dish into whichÂ the steaks will fit closely in one layer, without beingÂ jammed tightly together.
- Butter the dish lavishly, thenÂ put in the steaks and enough cream to cover them well.
- Tuck in a small bay leaf, and bake in a fairly hot ovenÂ (gas 5, 190Â°C/ 375Â°F) for 20â€“25 minutes, until the steaksÂ are cooked. Baste them once or twice with the cream,Â adding more if it reduces enough to leave the surface ofÂ the salmon much exposed.
- Serve with lemon quarters, incase people like to sharpen the sauce a little.