- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 to 8 cups mixed dicedÂ vegetables such as onions,Â peppers, yams, carrots,Â broccoli, and greens
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons minced freshÂ thyme Â orÂ 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 cup milk (use rice milkÂ for vegan version)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 6 to 8 pounds potatoes, diced
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup Basilâ€“Walnut pesto
- 1 pound ground meatÂ (beef, bison, pork, orÂ turkey), browned andÂ crumbled (optional)
This is a favorite for adults and kids alike. Simply gather everyÂ vegetable that is in season, sautĂ© them with a few herbs andÂ spices, and top them with mashed potatoes for a comforting,Â satisfying, and nourishing meal. Some people like to add cheeseÂ or even meat to the topping. However you choose to combineÂ them, the flavors taste like home and happiness.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and sautĂ© theÂ mixed vegetables, garlic, and 2 tablespoons of the thyme.
- Add the milk and salt. When the vegetables are well cookedÂ but not mushy, add the celery seed, cumin, and remainingÂ 2 tablespoons of thyme. Set aside.
- Boil the potatoes until they are very soft. Drain the potatoesÂ and mash them with pesto. (If using meat, cook it in a separateÂ skillet until it is browned and crumbly and combine with theÂ vegetables now.)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Divide the vegetablesÂ between two 9Ă—13-inch baking pans and spread them evenly.
- Use a spatula to spread potatoes evenly over the top of theÂ vegetables. Bake for 30 minutes.