This is a simple and traditional soup, made with garlic, which is one of the most popular ingredients in the quick cook's kitchen. All you need is:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 slices French bread, about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 quart beef stock
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- a pinch of saffron strands
- 4 eggs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
Heat the oven to 450¬įF. Heat¬†the oil in a large pan. Add the¬†whole garlic cloves and cook until¬†golden; remove and set aside. Fry¬†the bread in the oil until it turns a¬†golden brown; set aside.
- Add the paprika to the pan¬†and fry for a few seconds. Stir¬†in the beef stock, cumin, and¬†saffron.
- Add the reserved garlic,¬†crushing the cloves with the back¬†of a wooden spoon, and season¬†with salt and pepper. Cook for¬†about 5 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into 4¬†ovenproof bowls and break¬†1 egg into each one. Place a slice¬†of fried bread on top of each egg.
- Put the bowls in the oven for 3 to¬†4 minutes until the eggs are set.