- Â˝ pound thick-sliced bacon strips, cut into Â˝-inch cubes
- CREAMY BLUE-CHEESE DRESSING
- 4 ounces Danish blue cheese, crumbled
- ÂĽ cup buttermilk
- ÂĽ cup sour cream
- Dash hot sauce
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- One 12-ounce package baby spinach leaves
- Â˝ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 recipe Spiced Pecans
Ours is a spinach salad with some serious attitude. InÂ addition to the bacon and creamy blue-cheese dressing, we addÂ sweetened pecans and tart dried cranberries, and the overallÂ effect is to give this salad a festive feel. Itâ€™s a great dinner-partyÂ starter, and itâ€™s especially good partnered with a fat grilled steak.
- Fry the bacon in a medium skillet over medium heatÂ until brown and crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer theÂ chopped bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, and setÂ aside to cool.
- To make the dressing, use a fork to mash the blueÂ cheese in a medium bowl. Whisk in the buttermilk, sourÂ cream, hot sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine the baby spinach, red onion, driedÂ cranberries, bacon, and spiced pecans in a large bowl.
- Toss the salad with the creamy blue-cheese dressing justÂ before serving.