Spring Vegetable Crostata
- 12 ounces mascarpone (1Â˝ cups)
- 3 extra-large egg yolks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ÂĽ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh savory or thyme
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 12 medium asparagus spears, tough ends snapped off, stems peeled, and cut on the diagonal into 2-inch lengths
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and cut on the diagonal into 2-inch lengths 1 head Boston lettuce, cut into 8 wedges, washed, and dried well 1 recipe Basic Pastry Dough, chilled
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
This recipe takes the dish in a lighter direction with tender spring vegetablesâ€”blanched scallions, fresh peas, and wilted lettuce.
- Mix the mascarpone with the egg yolks in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the herbs and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. While the water heats, prepare a large bowl of ice water. As soon as the water boils, add the peas and blanch for 1 minute. Scoop a pea out of the boiling water and plunge it into the ice water to stop the cooking. Taste it. If itâ€™s tender, scoop out the remaining peas and put them in the ice water; if itâ€™s not quite done, let the others cook for another 30 seconds before removing them.
- Add the asparagus to the boiling water and blanch for 3 minutes. Test an asparagus stalk. Depending on their size, the asparagus may need to cook for as much as another minute. When tender scoop out of the boiling water and plunge into the ice water. Drain the vegetables and spin or pat dry.
- Heat the butter in a large sautĂ© pan over medium-low heat. Add the scallions, season with salt and pepper, and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the lettuce, season with salt and pepper, cover, and cook until the lettuce is wilted and tender, about 3 minutes. Uncover the pan, increase the heat to medium-high, and cook off any water, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Place the pastry dough on a lightly floured surface and roll it into a 16-inch circle, about â…› inch thick. Fold it into quarters, transfer it to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, and unfold. Spread the cool scallion lettuce mixture over the pastry, leaving a 2-inch border. Arrange the peas and asparagus over it. Pull up the edges of the pastry and gently fold them over the vegetables into a rim. Pleat the dough as necessary but do not crimp. Place the crostata in the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375Â°F.
- Remove the crostata from the refrigerator and pour the mascarpone mixture over the vegetables. Sprinkle with the Parmesan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and crisp.
- Let rest for 5 minutes, then cut into wedges and serve.