Strawberry rhubarb coffee cake
The batter for this cake is much like that for a biscuit; the chilled butter is cut in rather than creamed to produce a tender crumb. This recipe was developed by Emily Donahue for Roseyâ€™s Coffee and Tea in Hanover, New Hampshire.
1 1 / 4 cups chilled unsalted butter, plus more, softened, for the pan 1 / 4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 lemons) 1 / 3 cup cornstarch 2 3 / 4 cups sugar 1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced 1 1 / 2 pounds rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces 3 3 / 4 cups all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 / 2 teaspoon baking soda Pinch of salt 2 large eggs 1 1 / 2 cups buttermilk 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract S E R V E S 1 5
- Preheat the oven to 350ï€ F. Brush a 9x12x3-inch baking pan with butter, and set aside. Make the fruit sauce: Combine the lemon juice, cornstarch, and 1 cup sugar in a medium saucepan. Add the strawberries and rhubarb; cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat, until the rhubarb is soft and the liquid has thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl; let cool.
- Make the crumb topping: Combine Â¾ cup sugar and 3/ 4 cup flour in a medium bowl. Melt 1/ 4 cup butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Drizzle the butter over the flour mixture; using your hands, mix until crumbly. Set aside.
- Make the cake batter: Whisk together the remaining 3 cups flour and 1 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Using a pastry knife or 2 forks, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Pour into the flour mixture; stir to combine.
- Spread half the cake batter evenly into the prepared pan. Top with half the fruit sauce. Carefully spread the remaining batter over the fruit, and top with the remaining fruit sauce. Sprinkle with the crumb topping.
- Bake until the cake is golden brown and springs back when touched in the center, about 1 hour. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature, cut into squares.