- 8 cups (2 quarts) moderately finely grated cabbage (youâ€™ll need a 2Â½-to 2Â¾-pound cabbage)
- Â¾ cup firmly packed mayonnaise
- Â¼ cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Â½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
Itâ€™s not overly sweet; in fact the balance of sweet and tart is exactly right.
- Place the cabbage in a large nonreactive bowl. Quickly whisk together all remaining ingredients, pour over the cabbage, and mix well. At first you may think that there isnâ€™t enough dressing. There is because the cabbage will release a fair amount of liquid.
- Let the slaw stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, mix well, then cover and refrigerate for several hours.
- Stir the slaw well, taste for salt, and adjust as needed, then serve as an accompaniment to fried chicken, fish or shellfish, or any kind of barbecue.