- 8 cups (2 quarts) finely sliced cabbage (youâ€™ll need a 2Â½-to 2Â¾-pound cabbage)
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 medium-size sweet onion (Vidalia, Spanish, or Bermuda), finely chopped
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- Â¾ cup sugar
- 2/3 cup corn oil or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
This isnâ€™t a fancy recipe and its flavor improves on standing in the refrigerator. Because itâ€™s less likely to spoil than mayonnaise dressed slaws, itâ€™s a good choice for a picnic.
- For the coleslaw: Place the cabbage, bell pepper, and onion in a large nonreactive mixing bowl. Toss well and set aside.
- For the dressing: Combine all ingredients in a small nonreactive pan and bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the hot dressing over the slaw and toss well. Cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.