For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¬ĺ teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 small head of romaine or Bibb lettuce, torn into¬†bitesized pieces
- 2 small carrots, grated
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- ¬ľ cup chopped cilantro
- ¬ľ cup chopped mint leaves
- Chopped unsalted peanuts (optional)
This salad gets its Thai character from the mint and cilantro¬†in the salad and the fish sauce, rice wine vinegar, and red¬†pepper flakes in the dressing. It's not fancy, but it's a great¬†start to any meal.
- In a small bowl, stir together all of the salad dressing¬†ingredients; set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together all of the salad¬†ingredients. Add dressing to taste and toss until well¬†coated. Sprinkle chopped peanuts over the top of¬†each salad, if desired.