- 1 recipe Basic Pastry Dough, chilled
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 24 beautiful basil leaves
- 8 ripe plum tomatoes, sliced ½ inch thick
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
The recipe easily doubles or triples. Time is your only limitation.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces and shape into disks. Roll each disk into a rough 6×4-inch rectangle, about ¼ inch thick, on a floured surface. Transfer the dough to the sheet pan. Drape with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and sprinkle with half the cheese. Lay 6 basil leaves on each rectangle. Toss the tomatoes with the shallots and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Lay the tomatoes, overlapping them, atop the basil leaves. Drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until each crust is crisp and golden brown and the tomatoes are soft. Serve hot or at room temperature.