- 1 bottle (750 ml) Cabernet Sauvignon¬†wine
- 1 teaspoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled¬†(or not) and boiled
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tuna steaks, about¬†5 ounces each
Wine and potatoes may seem like a strange combination, but¬†this is one way to make your mashed potatoes taste really interesting. Serve with wilted greens tossed with a little red wine, or¬†a fresh green salad dressed with the sherry vinaigrette. These potatoes also complement fresh salmon steaks or¬†fillets.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the¬†wine, shallots, garlic, and freshly ground black pepper. Cook,¬†stirring occasionally, until the volume is reduced to about onefourth¬†the amount you started with, 30‚Äď40 minutes. Stir in the¬†cream and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens¬†slightly, about 10 more minutes.
- ¬†Mash the potatoes by hand or put them through a foodmill.¬†Stir in the wine‚Äďcream mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- ¬†Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil. Sear¬†the tuna on both sides, leaving it medium-rare‚ÄĒabout 3 minutes¬†on each side. Remove from the pan and serve with the¬†mashed potatoes.