- 10 ounces veal cutlets, pounded to ¼inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ small tomato, cut in small dice
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¾ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper to taste
The distinct flavor of balsamic vinegar against the sweetness of raspberries brings new zest to mild-flavored veal cutlets.
- Toss the veal cutlets with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Heat the other tablespoon of oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the veal cutlets and brown on each side, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from the heat and hold on a warm plate.
- Add the garlic and sauté until golden, about 30 seconds. Add tomato, vinegar, broth, and cream and boil until reduced by half, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Return the cutlets to the pan with any juices that have accumulated on the plate and cook for 3 more minutes. Add the raspberries and cook for 1 more minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve at once.