Most Ethiopians rarely get to eat meat, except during special occasions, and must eat their injera with vegetable stews.
1 cabbage, cut into eighths
1â„2 cup tegele setesmi (herb butter)
2 onions, sliced
1 TBS berbere
1â„4 cup water
4 carrots, peeled and cut in half
11â„2 pounds potatoes, peeled and
1 cup cauliflower, broken into
salt to taste
- Boil the cabbage until soft. Drain.
- Heat tegele setesmi in saucepan and fry onions until softened.
- Stir in berbere and cook for 1 minute
- Add 1â„4 cup of water, and bring to a boil.
- Add carrots and potatoes, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and cabbage, and simmer for 15 minutes. Taste and correct seasoning.
- Serve on injera.