- 1 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1 package quick-rising dry yeast (2¼ teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped smoked bacon
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded white Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh Italian parsley leaves
White Cheddar cheese and bacon meets pizza, with impressive results.
- For the dough, heat the water to 120°F to 130°F. Mix 1 cup of flour with the cornmeal, sage, yeast, salt, and sugar. Add the water and oil. Mix until almost smooth. Gradually add enough remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead 5 minutes. Cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Punch the dough down; allow to rise one more time.
- For the toppings and assembly, cook the bacon until done, but not crisp. Drain on a paper towel.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F. Divide the dough in half; roll or press each half into a 9-inch circle. Place on a pizza pan or large baking sheet. T op each with cheese, bacon, and walnuts. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the dough is lightly browned. Sprinkle with parsley.