- 2Â˝ pounds shoulder of veal
- Â˝ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- Â˝ cup dry white wine
- 1 (16-ounce) can crushed Italian-style or wholeÂ tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 (10-ounce) pkg. frozen small peas, thawed
This marvelous stew tastes even better if prepared one orÂ two days ahead.
- Cut veal into 1Â˝- to 2-inch cubes. Place on aluminum foilÂ and sprinkle with flour. Melt butter with oil in a large heavyÂ casserole over medium heat. When butter foams, add vealÂ and brown on all sides. Add onion, carrot and celery. SautĂ©Â until lightly browned. Stir in wine and cook until wine isÂ reduced by half. Add tomatoes. Season with salt andÂ pepper.
- Cover casserole and reduce heat. Simmer 40 to 45Â minutes or until meat is tender and sauce has a mediumthickÂ consistency. If sauce is too thin, increase heat andÂ cook uncovered about 10 minutes. Add peas and cook 5Â minutes longer. Serve hot.