- 1 large leek, diced (or 1 1/2 cups diced onion)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 4 cups mixed diced carrots, squash, and parsnips
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large egg
- pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup soy milk or cream
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 9-inch pie shell
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped, roasted walnuts
Serve it with a green vegetable and a crisp apple or citrus salad. For a healthy meal add kasha or wild rice.
- Saute leek in toasted sesame oil over moderate flame in a frying pan for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add diced vegetables and continue to saute for 3 more minutes. Add salt and 1/2 cup water. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes over medium-low heat until vegetables are soft. Drain off any excess liquid.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place vegetables, egg, pepper, basil, soy milk or cream, and tahini in a food processor or blender, and puree until creamy. Pour into pie crust, and top with roasted walnuts.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Then reduce heat to 350°, and bake for 20 more minutes or until center is firm.