Wisconsin Cheese and Sausage Strata
- 12 slices white bread, cubed
- 1⅓ cups (about 8 ounces) cubed Cheddar cheese
- ⅔ cup (about 4 ounces) cubed mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces Polish sausage or cubed cooked ham, or 16 ounces bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 (4-ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
Wisconsin Cheese and Sausage Strata is a great addition to a brunch buffet.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Place half the cubed bread in the prepared baking dish. Cover with the cheeses, meat, and mushrooms. Top with the remaining cubed bread.
- Beat the eggs with the milk and seasonings. Pour over the bread, making sure to coat all of the cubes. Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 4 hours.
- To complete the strata, preheat the oven to 350°F. Remove the strata from the refrigerator. Bake for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.