- 6 tablespoons (¬ĺ stick) unsalted butter, divided
- ¬ĺ cup packed light or dark brown sugar (use dark for¬†a deeper molasses flavor)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¬ľ cup cornstarch
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1¬Ĺ cups coarsely crushed gingersnap cookies
- ¬Ĺ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¬Ĺ teaspoon vanilla extract
Because they are always reliably tasty, bananas are a¬†good fruit to use in winter desserts.
- To make the pudding, melt 4 tablespoons of the¬†butter in a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan¬†over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and whisk¬†until the mixture is melted. Whisk in the heavy¬†cream and cook until the mixture comes to a¬†simmer.
- Sprinkle the cornstarch over the milk and whisk¬†until dissolved. Whisk into the saucepan and cook¬†until it comes to a simmer. Whisk the egg yolks¬†together in a heatproof medium bowl. Gradually¬†whisk in about 1 cup of the hot cream mixture, then¬†whisk it back into the saucepan. Cook, whisking¬†constantly, until the pudding comes to a full boil.=¬†Reduce the heat to low and whisk for another 15¬†seconds. (Be sure that the pudding comes to a full¬†lavalike boil, or it will thin out as it stands.) Remove¬†from the heat. Whisk in the vanilla. Transfer to a¬†bowl. Cut the remaining 2 tablespoons butter into¬†small cubes and scatter over the top of the¬†pudding. Cover the pudding with a sheet of plastic¬†pudding. Cover the pudding with a sheet of plastic¬†wrap pressed directly on the surface. Pierce a few¬†slits in the plastic wrap with the tip of a small knife¬†and let cool.
- Layer the pudding, bananas, and gingersnaps in¬†6 dessert bowls or glasses. Cover each with a¬†piece of plastic wrap pressed directly on the¬†surface of the pudding and refrigerate until chilled,¬†at least 2 hours.
- Whip the cream, granulated sugar, and vanilla in¬†a chilled medium bowl with a hand-held electric¬†mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Top¬†each pudding with a dollop of the cream and serve¬†chilled.