- 6 tablespoons (Âľ stick) unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 11/3 cups sugar
- ÂĽ cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Â˝ teaspoon ground ginger
- Â˝ teaspoon salt
- ÂĽ teaspoon ground cloves
The dough must be chilled for at least 1Â hour. The cookies can be baked up to 1 week ahead.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and shorteningÂ together over medium heat. Transfer to a large bowl and letÂ cool until tepid. (Place the saucepan in a large bowl of iceÂ water to speed up the process if you wish.)
- Whisk in 1 cup of the sugar, the molasses, and egg. InÂ another large bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, cinnamon,Â ginger, salt, and cloves together. Using a wooden spoon,Â gradually stir the flour mixture into the wet ingredients.Â Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until wellÂ chilled, at least 1 hour.
- Position racks in the center and top third of the ovenÂ and preheat to 350Â°F. Place the remaining 1/3 cup sugar inÂ a small bowl. Using 1 tablespoon of dough for each, roll intoÂ 1-inch balls. Roll in the sugar to coat, then place 2 inchesÂ apart on baking sheets lined with nonstick baking pads.
- Bake, switching the position of the baking sheets fromÂ top to bottom and back to front halfway through baking, untilÂ the cookies are evenly browned and the edges are set,Â about 12 minutes. Cool briefly on the sheets, then transferÂ to wire racks to cool completely.