- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 8 ounces kumquats, cut into ¬ľ-inch-thick rounds
- 1¬Ĺ cups packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons shredded fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¬ľ teaspoon salt
- ¬ľ teaspoon crushed hot red pepper
Winter is the time for kumquats. They look like tiny,¬†elongated oranges, with a pungent citrusy flavor.
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium, heavybottomed,¬†nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil over¬†medium heat, stirring often. Reduce the heat to mediumlow¬†and simmer, uncovered, stirring often, until the chutney¬†is thick and the kumquats are translucent, about 20¬†minutes. Cool completely.
- Remove the cinnamon stick.¬†(The chutney can be made up to 2 weeks ahead, cooled,¬†covered, and refrigerated.)