- ¬Ĺ cup white vinegar
- 1 Thai chili, very finely minced
- 1 garlic clove, very finely minced
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 3 cups thinly sliced cucumber
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup cubed tart apple (such as Granny Smith)
- ¬Ĺ cup shredded carrot
- ¬ľ cup minced mint
- ¬ľ cup minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
The cucumber and apple in this¬†salad yield a great contrast of flavors.
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, chili, and¬†garlic. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover the pan,¬†remove it from the heat, and let cool.
- Trim and finely chop 1 lemongrass stalk. Place it in a¬†small saucepan with ¬Ĺ cup of water, cover, and bring¬†to a boil. Turn off heat and let cool.
- Trim the remaining lemongrass stalk, peel off the¬†tough outer layers, and finely mince the white portion¬†of the tender stalk within. Reserve approximately 1¬†tablespoon.
- Combine the cucumber, bean sprouts, apple, carrot,¬†mint, and parsley in a large mixing bowl. In a small¬†bowl combine the fish sauce, oil, minced lemongrass,¬†the vinegar mixture, and the lemongrass water.
- Toss the vegetables with the lemongrass vinaigrette¬†to taste.