- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¬Ĺ cup sugar
- 12/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white rice flour (available at natural foods stores,¬†Asian grocers, and many supermarkets) or cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¬Ĺ cup (about 2 ounces) finely chopped crystallized¬†ginger
Shortbread is the ultimate sugar cookie, crisp yet¬†tender, and bursting with buttery flavor.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat¬†to 350¬įF. Lightly butter a 9¬Ĺ-inch springform pan.
- In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer set at¬†high speed, beat the butter until creamy, about 1 minute.¬†Add the sugar and beat until the mixture is light in color and¬†texture, about 2 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the¬†all-purpose flour, rice flour, and ground ginger to make a¬†soft dough. Stir in the crystallized ginger. Press the dough¬†evenly into the prepared pan. Using the tines of a fork,¬†press around the perimeter of the dough. Prick the dough,¬†reaching down to the bottom of the pan, into 12 wedges.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Cool¬†completely in the pan, then remove the sides of the pan.¬†Break the shortbread into wedges following the¬†perforations in the dough.