- 1 large pink or red grapefruit
- 1 1/3 cups cake flour
- 1ÂĽ teaspoons baking powder
- ÂĽ teaspoon salt
- Âľ cup plus 2 tablespoons (1Âľ sticks) unsalted butter,Â at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ÂĽ cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon confectionersâ€™ sugar
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at soft room temperature
- 2 cups confectionersâ€™ sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons fresh grapefruit juice, as needed
- Pink or red food coloring (optional)
Another dessert that celebrates citrus fruit, theÂ original version of this cake made its debut atÂ Hollywoodâ€™s famous Brown Derby decades ago. ItÂ deserves its celebrityâ€”the sweet-and-sourÂ combination of the cake and frosting with the grapefruit is wonderful.
- To make the cupcakes, position a rack in theÂ center of the over and preheat to 350Â°F. Line a 12-Â cup muffin pan with paper cupcake liners.
- Grate the zest from half of the grapefruit and setÂ aside. Cut off the peel and segment the grapefruit,Â working over a bowl to collect the juice. Set the 12Â nicest segments (eat the rest of the segments asÂ the cookâ€™s treat) and the juice aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.Â Using an electric mixer set on high speed, beat theÂ butter and granulated sugar in a medium bowl untilÂ light in color and texture, about 3 minutes. One at aÂ time, beat in the eggs, beating well after eachÂ addition, then beat in the reserved grapefruit zestÂ and the vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, inÂ three additions, alternating with two additions ofÂ milk, mix in the flour, scraping down the sides ofÂ the bowl as needed. Divide evenly among theÂ muffin cups.
- Bake until the cupcakes are golden brown and aÂ toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean,Â about 20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes. Remove theÂ cupcakes from the pan and transfer to a wire cakeÂ rack and cool completely.
- Whisk together ÂĽ cup of the reserved grapefruitÂ juice and the confectionersâ€™ sugar. Brush theÂ cupcakes with the grapefruit juice mixture.
- To make the icing, using an electric mixer set onÂ high speed, beat the cream cheese in a mediumÂ bowl until smooth. Reduce the heat to low andÂ gradually add the confectionersâ€™ sugar. AddÂ enough grapefruit juice to make a flowing butÂ spreadable icing. Beat in food coloring to tint theÂ icing pink, if desired. Spread each cupcake withÂ the icing and top with a grapefruit section.