- Vegetable oil for the pan
- Confectioners‚Äô sugar for the pan and the work surface
- 2 envelopes (4 teaspoons) unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
What could be cooler to make at home than¬†marshmallows? They are really very easy to pull off,¬†as long as you have the right tools‚ÄĒa candy¬†thermometer and a heavy-duty standing mixer. Make¬†a batch to put on top of a steaming mug of hot chocolate, or give them away as holiday¬†gifts.
- Lightly oil an 8-inch square baking pan. Line the¬†bottom and the two short sides with a strip of¬†aluminum foil, preferably nonstick, folding the¬†excess foil over the edges to act as handles.¬†Lightly oil the foil. Generously dust the bottom and¬†the sides of the pan with confectioners‚Äô sugar.
- Pour 1/3 cup water in the bowl of a heavy-duty¬†electric mixer and sprinkle the gelatin on top.¬†Attach the bowl to the mixer and affix the paddle¬†blade.
- Combine the granulated sugar, corn syrup, and¬†an additional 1/3 cup water in a small saucepan.¬†Attach a candy thermometer to the pan. Bring to a=¬†boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.¬†When the syrup boils, stop stirring and boil,¬†washing down any sugar crystals that form on the¬†sides of the pan with a pastry brush dipped in cold¬†water and occasionally swirling the pan by the¬†handle, until the syrup reaches 240¬įF.
- With the mixer on low speed, gradually pour the¬†hot syrup into the gelatin mixture. After the syrup¬†has been added, add the salt and increase the¬†speed to medium-high. Beat until the mixture is¬†white, fluffy, and cooled to tepid, 8 to 10 minutes.¬†Beat in the vanilla.
- Rinse a rubber spatula under cold water. Using¬†the wet spatula, immediately spread the mixture in¬†the prepared pan. Let stand until completely set, at¬†least 4 hours. Generously dust a work surface with¬†confectioners‚Äô sugar. Invert and unmold the¬†marshmallow onto the work surface and peel off¬†the foil. Using an oiled knife or pizza wheel, cut into¬†24 pieces.