- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- 11⁄2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus more if needed
- Salt and white pepper to taste
Use this classic French condiment instead of mayonnaise. You’ll never go back. It is also delicious on cold fish, cold meat, hardboiled eggs, and grilled vegetables. If you can find Meyer’s lemons, they make an excellent aioli, but any fresh lemons will do.
- Process the egg yolks and Dijon mustard together in a food processor. Stir in the lemon zest and garlic.
- Slowly drizzle in some of the olive oil as the food processor is running. When the mixture thickens slightly, begin alternating a few drops of the olive oil with a few drops of the lemon juice, until the aioli is the consistency of mayonnaise.
- Season with salt and pepper. If the aioli is too thick, add more lemon juice. If it tastes too acidic, thin it with a little water. Store in a covered jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.