- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 medium red-skinned potatoes or 1 large sweet potato, cut into ½-inch dice (2 to 3 cups)
- 6 to 12 ounces baby spinach leaves (you can’t have too much)
- Zest of 1 lemon or lime
- 3 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
- Black pepper
This dish can be served with broccoli or fresh asparagus and sliced tomatoes.
- Cook garlic for 1 minute in a saucepan over medium heat, adding a little vegetable broth or water as necessary. Add the 3 cups vegetable broth, lentils, and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the lentils are tender. Add spinach, lemon zest, lemon juice, and cayenne. Cover and simmer until spinach wilts, about 2 minutes. Stir in mint and add black pepper to taste.