- 1/ 3 cup extra virgin olive oil (80 ml)
- 1 dried peperoncino, or hot red pepper flakes to taste
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups canned Italian plum tomatoes, partially drained(500 ml), or 1 pound ripe fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped (450 g)
- 1/ 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound spaghetti or linguine(450 g)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
Heat the oil in a large skillet with the whole peperoncino, if using it. (If using hot red pepper flakes, add them later with the tomatoes.) Add the chopped garlic and cook gently over moderately low heat until the garlic is lightly colored, about 3 minutes.
- Discard the peperoncino and add the tomatoes. Season with the salt and cook over moderately high heat, breaking up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon, for 15 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until it is al dente; drain well and transfer to a warmed serving bowl. Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss to coat. Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve at once.