- 12 ounces Italian sausages (340 g)
- 1 pound spaghetti (450 g)
- 2/ 3 pound ricotta, drained if necessary (300 g)
- 2 tablespoons butter (30 g)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/ 2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (50 g)
Remove and discard the casings from the sausages. Crumble the sausages into a skillet. Add 3 tablespoons water and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the spaghetti until it is al dente. Scoop out and reserve 1/ 3 cup of the pasta cooking water.
- Warm a pasta serving bowl. Put the ricotta and the butter, cut into bits, into the bowl. Using a fork, stir in the reserved pasta water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to make a creamy sauce. Mix in the cooked sausages. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the pasta and add to the serving bowl. Toss to mix, sprinkling on the Parmesan cheese as you toss. Serve at once with more black pepper ground over the top.