- One 7-ounce tube almond paste
- 2 large egg whites
- ¬Ĺ cup sugar
- ¬Ĺ cup (2 ounces) pine nuts, coarsely chopped
Amaretti are crisp Italian almond macaroons that can¬†be bought at many specialty food shops.
- Grate the almond paste on the large holes of a box¬†grater (or crumble as finely as possible with your fingertips)¬†into a medium bowl. Add the egg whites. Using a handheld¬†electric mixer at low speed, beat until the mixture is well¬†combined. Add the sugar, increase the speed to mediumhigh,¬†and beat until smooth.
- Using a rounded teaspoon for each, roll the dough¬†into ¬ĺ-inch balls. Place the pine nuts in a small bowl. One¬†at a time, press one side of the ball into the nuts, then place¬†the balls 1 inch apart on a cookie sheet lined with a¬†nonstick baking pad. Set aside, uncovered, at room¬†temperature for 4 hours.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat¬†to 300¬įF. Bake until the cookies are deep golden brown¬†and the pine nuts are lightly toasted, about 40 minutes.¬†Cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to wire¬†racks to cool completely.