HEIRLOOM TOMATO SAUCE:
- 1 pound heirloom tomatoes
- Sea salt
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves
- Fresh herbs, such as basil, chives, oregano, and sage
- 4 cups water or unsalted vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups organic polenta or cornmeal
- 1 cup organic cashews
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil or your favorite seasonal herb
- ¼ cup spring water
This easy and fun wheat-free pie also makes a wonderful appetizer or finger food, cut into small wedges and served warm from the oven. The tomato sauce can be made in advance.
- For the tomato sauce: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Quarter the heirloom tomatoes and place faceup on a roasting pan. Sprinkle with sea salt. Add the whole cloves of garlic and roast for 30 minutes or until lightly caramelized. Scrape the roasted tomatoes and garlic into a bowl and pulse with an immersion blender or mash with a fork. Chop some of your favorite seasonal fresh herbs and stir in.
- For the crust: Bring the water and sea salt to a boil in a 10- or 12-inch pot or sauté pan. Whisk in the polenta slowly until all is incorporated. Stir for about 1 minute, then turn the heat to low, cover the pot, and leave it for 40 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to sit for another 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Carefully turn the pot upside down, dropping the polenta onto a cutting board. Slice the polenta in half, parallel to the cutting board, into two round pizza crusts. Place the crusts onto a cookie sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, or until crispy around the edges.
- For the cashew “cheese”: Put all the “cheese” ingredients into a food processor and puree, adding water slowly, until they reach a thick, cream-cheese-like consistency. (You want to be able to form little “cheese balls,” so be careful not to add too much water.) Adjust seasonings to taste. (I enjoy a clove or two of garlic and sometimes more lemon juice, depending how juicy the lemon is.)
- Assemble the pizza: Spread the tomato sauce over the polenta crust, then use a teaspoon to form little balls of the cashew “cheese” and arrange them on top. Add toppings of choice.
- Bake the pizza for 10 minutes just to heat the toppings. Garnish with whole fresh basil leaves and serve.