- 2 cups boiling water
- ¾ cup polenta
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-sodium, no-fat vegetable broth (I like the one by Pacific Natural Foods)
- One 14½-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 small diced onion
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1 tablespoon chile powder
- One 15½-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup fat-free, low-sodium salsa
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
This dish goes well with a tossed salad, broccoli, or cooked greens.
- For the polenta crust: Bring the water to a boil and whisk in the polenta and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, for 10 to 12 minutes until the polenta pulls away from the side of the pan. Dump the cooked polenta into a large pie dish and spread evenly over the bottom and sides of the dish. Set aside.
- Combine the broth, tomatoes, onion, rice, and chile powder in a rice cooker or saucepan. Cook until all liquid is gone and rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- After the rice is cooked, stir in the black beans. Spread the ricebean mixture evenly in the polenta crust. Spread salsa over the ricebean mixture. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash the avocado in a small bowl with the lemon juice and garlic powder. Slice the pie, and put a dollop of avocado mixture (about 1 tablespoon) on each slice before serving.