- 6 large very ripe tomatoes, at room temperature
- 1¬Ĺ cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- Vegetable broth
- One 10-ounce package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- and drained
- 2 medium avocados, mashed
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar or agave nectar
- ¬Ĺ teaspoon salt
- ¬ľ teaspoon black pepper
- ¬Ĺ cup quick-cooking rice
- ¬ľ cup plus 2 tablespoons Parma! (vegan ‚ÄúParmesan cheese‚ÄĚ), optional
No one can resist these tomatoes. You will be sorry you don‚Äôt have more left over.
- Preheat oven to 400¬įF.
- Cut a slice from the top of each tomato and scoop out the pulp, leaving a ¬ľ-inch-thick shell; set aside. Chop the tomato pulp (makes about 3¬Ĺ cups) and set aside.
- Saut√© the mushrooms and onion in some vegetable broth in a large skillet over high heat. Cook, stirring, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add spinach, avocados, reserved chopped tomatoes, garlic, basil, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until flavors blend, about 10 minutes. Stir in the rice, remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in ¬ľ cup of the Parma!
- Place the tomato shells in a 13 √ó 9 √ó 2-inch baking pan. Spoon the hot mixture into the shells, dividing evenly. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon Parma! on top of each. Bake until the tomatoes are hot and the filling is golden, about 15 minutes.