Tortellini with creamed spinach
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 pounds fresh spinach*, stemmed and washed
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 onion
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour, sifted
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup heavy cream salt and pepper
- 1 package tortellini (about 1 pound flavor of choice)
Bring a pot of water with salt to boil over high heat for spinach.
- Cook until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Rinse in an ice bath, drain and chop. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat milk, onion, cloves, bay leaves and thyme to just below the boiling point. In another pan, melt butter and stir in flour. Cook 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and whisk in strained milk culture, cook until thickened and add spinach.
- Add cream and mushroom room to spinach mixture.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of nutmeg, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Boil tortellini according to package directions and drain.
- Add tortellini and pour into a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes until bubbly.
- Top with parmesan cheese and chopped tomato.
- Options: Add mushrooms or grilled chicken breast.
- Serve with garlic bread.
- NOTE: Frozen spinach may be used instead of fresh, to save time.